AI Sweden is the Swedish National Center for applied Artificial Intelligence, supported by the Swedish government and the public and private sectors across the country. Our mission is to accelerate the use of AI for the benefit of our society, our competitiveness, and for everyone living in Sweden.
To achieve this, we run projects of national interest in areas such as information-driven healthcare, AI solutions for the Swedish language, data-driven journalism, and AI to help tackle climate change. We provide targeted training for our partners and the general public. Our Data Factory enables our partners to make available and access data and make use of computing power and storage capacity in AI projects.
We want to contribute to a culture of sharing, cooperation, and action in the Swedish AI-ecosystem. That is why we run all our initiatives in collaboration with our partners. In the end, the purpose of our efforts is to improve the quality of life for all people living in Sweden.
AI Sweden is funded by Vinnova as well as by partners.
AI Sweden is a partner organisation. The main bodies of our governance structure are the Founder Forum and the Steering Committee.
The Founder Forum
The Founder Forum consists of one representative for each Founding Partner and is held once per year. Its key functions are to:
appoint the chairperson of the Founder Forum
appoint the Steering Committee with guidance from nomination committee
appoint the Steering Committee chairperson
approve new Founding Partners
appoint Founding Fellows
The Steering committee
The Steering Committee serves as the main decision-making body for the strategic and scientific direction of AI Sweden. The Steering Committee consists of a chairperson and 10-14 members plus appointees including representatives from funding agencies, representatives for each so called node and the Director(s) of AI Sweden. One or two more members of AI Sweden program management or representative from the host organization can also be included as appointees.
Its key functions are to:
- approve new partners (presented by program management)
- approve funding and annual budget for AI Sweden
- prepare a common overall strategic plan with goals for the activities to be conducted within AI Sweden
- appoint an Ethics Committee which shall be responsible for ensuring that the activities supported by AI Sweden are carried out in an ethical manner in accordance with national and international law.
Steering committee members
The current steering committe was elected during the Founders Forum on May 6th 2021. The members of the steering committee will serve for one year at a time. These are the current members of the steering commitee:
- Ödgärd Andersson, CEO Zenseact
- Peder Blomgren, VP/Head of Data Office R&D, AstraZeneca
- Björn Brinne, Chief AI Officer, Peltarion
- Mats Snäll, Leveransområdeschef digital utveckling, DIGG
- Anna Granö, CEO HPE
- Martin Gull, Chief Digital Officer, Helsingborgs Stad
- Christina Henrysson, Chef för Ekonomi, styrnings- och analysenheten, Skatteverket
- Birgitta Janerot Sjöberg, MD, Professor of medical technology at Karolinska Institutet
- Amy Loutfi, Head of the Center for Applied Autonomous Sensor Systems, Örebro University
- Cecilia Magnusson Sjöberg, Subject Director of law and Information technology, SU
- Staffan Truvé (Chair), CTO, Recorded Future
- Jonas Åkesson, Head of Automation & AI, Ericsson
- Daniel Rencrantz, Vinnova (Funding agency)
- Fredrik Weisner, Vinnova (Funding agency)
- Anders Carlberg, Region Västra Götaland (Funding agency and Gothenburg node)
- Birgitta Bergvall Kåreborn, Luleå University of Technology (for North node)
- Björn Ekelund, Ericsson and chairperson Mobile Heights (for South node)
- Fredrik Heintz, Linköpings University (for East node)
- Kristina Eklöf, Region Örebro Län (for Örebro node)
- Johanna Engman, (for Greater Stockholm node)
- Martin Svensson, Co-Director, AI Sweden
- Daniel Gillblad, Co-Director, AI Sweden
- Mats Nordlund, Board Sponsor of Data Factory, AI Sweden
- Mikael Ljungblom, Head of Communications and Public Affairs, AI Sweden